Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wifey-1 Hubs-0

Remember when Squeaks was sick?  It was a couple weeks back.  She had a pretty good fever but that was it.  We didn't rush to the doctor or anything.  We gave her some Tylenol and that was good enough.

Three days later, I was so sick.  I noticed Sunday night that my throat was getting sore. 

Monday morning, my throat was on fire and my entire body ached.  By Monday night, I was shaking with a fever.  To tell you the truth, I have never had the chills and a fever.  It was horrible!  I didn't sleep at all that night.  I was so sore the next morning.  

Tuesday was no better.  I still had a fever, the chills and a super sore throat.  So sore that all I wanted was chicken broth to eat.  I couldn't eat real food because it hurt. 

Wednesday morning I woke up free from the fever but my throat hurt still.  Whatever.  But I noticed this weird bump on the side of my thumb.  I didn't think anything of it.  It was actually similar to a callus I used to have on my thumb from roping.  Did you know I can rope?  I'm pretty handy with a rope y'all.  Anyway, the bump turned into many bumps and it had this weird itchy sensation.  It didn't hurt.  It just bugged.  Mav could barely see them.  He thought I was nuts. 

Of course, it took Mav a matter of seconds to pull out his doctor-groove and get to work on Squeaks.  Me, I had to wait three days for him to eve notice I was sick.  He checked out my throat.  I had something he said, maybe strep and my ears looked weird and my hands, meh.  He said if I didn't feel better by Thursday morning, I should call a real doctor.  

Thursday came.  My throat still hurt.  My hands still had the weird bump-rash-thing.  But now, my feet were having the same weird itchy sensation but no rash.  I went to the doctor.  I really hate it when doctors only talk to my husband about medical school stuff.  It drives me nuts.  I don't mind friendly chatting for about a minute but past that, I feel like I'm being ripped off as a patient.  So the doc and Mav were talking and then she turned to me and said, "What's up?"  I tell her.  She runs a strep test, it comes back negative.  I do have an ear infection.  She isn't sure about the sore throat though.  She tried to write off my hands like I was crazy, just like Mav.  I seriously had to put them in front of her face and scream, "LOOK!"  She takes a look and then I tell her it's happening around my feet too. 

Light bulb!  I could seriously see the light switch flip on. 

She examines me closer.  Tells me to open my mouth one more time.  And she sees it!! 

I had hand-foot-and-mouth!!  

I turn to Mav and say, "Told you so!!"  He laughed at me when I told him prior to that, that I really thought I had hand-foot-and-mouth.  He explained it was a childhood disease, rare in adults.  I know all this.  Squeaks has had hand-foot-and-mouth before, when she was about 16 months old. 

Squeaks might have had this too and gave it to me.  It's weird.  I hear it's going around like crazy though. 

So I diagnosed myself.  Without the help of my almost-a-doctor-husband.  I'm proud of it too.  I know moments like these will not happen often.  Kind of like the one time we were golfing in Seattle and I made a 30 foot putt and he didn't.  Things like that are rare and I'm not about to let him forget about them either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment